My search for the holy grail mascara continues : Zuzu Luxe Mascara review


So I've been testing out Zuzu Luxe mascara against Dr. hauschka's (read here) and I'm sad to say that much like the 100% pure mascara (here) Zuzu Luxe's doesn't stand up to Dr. Hauschka's. Maybe I just have bizarrely sensitive eyes, but since the Zuzu luxe liquid liner became my holy grail liner, I had high hopes for the mascara. 

Where do I start…First of all the mascara is clumping. If you have the patience to use a lash comb after your mascara, then it does a better job at volumizing than the regular Dr. Hauschka mascara (much like the Dr. Hauschka volumizing mascara, which is a clumping mess in my opinion). I however, can't stand a clumping mascara. Still, if that was the only problem with this, it wouldn't have been a big deal. However, I had a feeling that this mascara was making my eyes itchy. Since I have some better and worse allergy days, I didn't want to blame the mascara right away so I wore Zuzu Luxe on one eye and Dr. Hauschka on the other. Sure enough, the eye with Zuzu Luxe was itchy and the other wasn't. I repeated the experiment the next day this time applying the mascaras to the opposite eye from the previous day. Same thing. Zuzu luxe was not suitable for my sensitive eyes…bummer. Also worth mentioning, I had little flakes of mascara under the eye where I applied the Zuzu Luxe mascara and nothing under the eye with Dr. Hauschka's mascara. Just the flaking alone could've been the cause of irritation I suppose. I noticed that everytime, I didn't get a reaction right away, and typically, if I'm allergic to something, the symptoms will hit me pretty soon after contact (like with the 100% pure mascara). However, since I don't know how to make the mascara stop flaking, it's gotta go.

As was the case with the 100% pure mascara, this is far more affordable than Dr. Hauschka's mascara so it's a real shame it ain't gonna work for me. Other than the issues with clumping and sensitivity, I gotta say, this mascara is super black and does give me a more dramatic look than the Dr. Hauschka (if I ever have the patience to comb through my lashes, which to be honest, I never do). However, on a daily basis, nothing beats a hassle-free, quick application, even if it doesn't give me the most revolutionary volume and length (on a daily basis, that's not what I'm looking for in a mascara anyways).

As I mentioned above, I think this mascara is very similar to the volumizing Dr. Hauschka mascara, so if you like that one and want a much more affordable option, Zuzu Luxe may be your answer. But if you have very sensitive eyes, I'd say Dr. Hauschka is a safer bet. Here are some pics of the wand for you guys to see:

INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Infusion of Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice), Cellulose Gum, Sorbitol, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lecithin, Panthenol, Crithmum Maritimum (Sea Fennel) Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Euphrasia Officinalis (Eyebright) Extract, Xanthan Gum, Iron Oxides, Hectorite, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Sorbate.

PRICE: $16.99 (.25oz)

CONS: Clumping and made my eyes itchy.

BOTTOM LINE: This mascara is 100% natural and quite affordable, but unfortunately, it wasn't mild enough for my sensitive eyes. Not Sensitastic approved.

WHERE TO BUY: www.pharmaca.com
Whole Foods

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried Terra Firma Cosmetics mascara? It works great for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't. I'll have to go look for it now! Thanks for the tip ☺

      Delete