A sad truth - 100% Pure Mascara


I wanted to like this sooo much! For many reasons, first (and I know this isn't a good enough reason to buy a mascara but...) this is the most adorable mascara packaging I've ever seen!! Second, and now a very good reason to buy this: it's 100% natural. I was really looking forward to liking this because my favorite mascara is Dr. Hauschka's Mascara (review to come, I accidentally threw out my last one before photographing it, sorry! I'm just waiting for the next one to come in the mail) which is pricier than this. I can't complain much about my lashes, they're quite long and full just not very dark. I can complain all I want about how sensitive my eyes are but thankfully I don't usually need much from a mascara other than being gentle on my eyes. You would think if you only need one thing, that would be easy to find, but not really. Mascaras that don't make my eyes itch and burn are very hard to find. That's why I've been so faithful to Dr. Hauschka's Mascara, it's just so gentle on my eyes. However, like everything Dr. Hauschka, the mascara is pricy and I was looking forward to finding a more affordable option. Sadly, the 100% PURE FRUIT PIGMENTED ULTRA-LENGTHENING MASCARA wasn't it.
When I first applied it, I just though the formula felt a bit dry, however it didn't cause my lashes to clump. It applied a bit unevenly without coating all of my lashes equally though, but that was almost solved by adding a few coats. It was ok at separating my lashes and darkening them, which is almost all I want. HOWEVER the mascara didn't fulfill my number one requirement: it wasn't as gentle on my eyes as it should've been. Soon after I applied, my eyes started to burn and water and just feel overall unhappy :( I waited about 20 minutes and removed it with my favorite eye makeup remover for sensitive eyes. Back to the store this goes. Very sad, because the mascara does darken and separate. Plus the wand looks gorgeous, it has a wonderful natural fruity smell and it's cheaper than Dr. Hauschka's mascara. I did notice from the ingredients list that this has quite a few items on my list of foods with high levels of histamine. So although this is 100% natural, it might just be one of those cases, when unfortunately, the natural ingredients are not allergy proof. I've said this before, I do give preference to natural products, but peanuts are completely natural and people are still allergic to them. So natural, doesn't mean it can't cause any allergies, always keep that in mind! I sometimes forget!
Here are a few other bits of info unrelated to allergies (in case you feel adventurous and want to try it out). The mascara comes in 2 different sizes and I actually bought both. Shown above, the mini size is on the left and full size on the right (which I guess you can tell from the images :) ). From the ingredients list, the formula is the same, except funny enough, the wands are different:

On the left is the wand for the mini mascara and on the right, the hourglass shaped wand is from the full size. I didn't find the application to be much better with either, probably because the formula was lacking to begin with.
Both the mini and full size come in four colors: Black Tea (fairly dark black, but not the darkest black I've seen), Blueberry (navy blue), Blackberry(dark burgundy) and Dark Chocolate (very deep brown). So there it is, my review of this 100% Pure Mascara. Too bad it didn't work for me. Seems my search for a more affordable natural mascara continues. Any recommendations?

INGREDIENTS: Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Organic Green Tea), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Cera Alba (Honey Beeswax), Rubus Fruticosus Fruit Extract (Blackberry Extract), Ribes Nigrum Fruit Extract (Blackcurrant Extract), Rubus Idaeus Fruit Extract (Raspberry Extract), Hydrolyzed Oat Protein (Oat Protein), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (Wheat Protein), Pantothenic Acid (Pro-vitamin B5), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Seaweed Powder), Coconut Stearic Acid (Coconut Acid), Mica, Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter (Cocoa Butter), Pearl Powder, Oryza Sativa Germ Powder (Rice Powder), Theobroma Cacao Extract (Cocoa Powder), Coffea Arabica Seed Extract (Powdered Coffee Beans), Mel (Lavender Honey), Origanum Vulgare Leaf Extract (Oregano Extract), Thymus Vulgaris Flower/Leaf Extract (Thyme Extract), Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract (Rosemary Extract), Lavandula Angustifolia Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (Lavender Extract), Hydrastis Canadensis Extract (Goldenseal Extract).

PRICE: $18 (0.34oz or 7g)/ $12 ( 0.176oz or 5g)

CONS: Made my eyes burn and water.

BOTTOM LINE: Being 100% natural makes this mascara very promising for sensitive eyes however, I suspect that the presence of so many ingredients high in histamines may make this mascara less gentle than anticipated. Not Sensitastic approved.

WHERE TO BUY: Duane Reade
www.100percentpure.com
www.dermstore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment