Honeybee Gardens Pressed Mineral Powder

Left to right: Montego, Malibu, Luminous, Supernatural, Geisha

The lovely people from Honeybee Gardens sent me some samples to review of their Pressed Mineral Powder so I have some opinions and swatches to share. Look here for their official info and photos. Since they sent me samples, I don't have photos of the actual full size product to share with you. First I want to start by saying that whatever I say here is my true opinion and this is in NO WAY a paid review. Alright, let's get started.


Before receiving these samples, I had already been interested in trying this pressed powder for the following reasons: It's (1) mineral, (2) pressed, (3) affordable and (4) has a reusable compact. The only problem is it's very difficult to find this product in "real life" (so far I've only found it online). So I'm really lucky they've sent me these samples.

I've raved about bareMinerals before and so far it really was my favorite foundation (it's still #1 but pretty closely tied with this honeybee powder and it will become clear why in a minute) but it always bothered me that it was a loose, extremely messy powder that is not travel friendly. I know that bareMinerals released a pressed version of their foundation, but frankly, I was a bit turned off by the reviews and haven't given it a chance yet. Also, I think the price of the new bareMinerals compact is a bit of a turn off so I decided to wait. I still love the loose powder by the way and have re-purchased it at least 4 times that I can remember, it's also pricy, but it's the best foundation I've tried.

The honeybees pressed powder is mineral, travel friendly and extremely affordable. As a comparison, the loose bareMinerals foundation is $27 for 0.28oz. The Honeybee Gardens is $9.99 for 0.26oz! For bareMinerals you're paying approximately $96/oz while with honeybee gardens, you only pay (approx.) $38/oz. I do need to point out though, that the Honeybee powder doesn't come with a compact. The compact separately costs $11.99 so the first time you buy the powder, you do have to pay about $22, which is not so significantly cheaper than $27 for bareMinerals. However, in the case of bM, you're largely paying for packaging and you're forced to do so every time you buy it and that really annoys me. It's not cost effective for the consumer and it's not environmentally friendly either. That's why I really like that the Honeybee's pressed powder compact is refillable. It makes this product budget-friendly and environmentally friendly as well. Double win! Yay!

The main downfall of this product in my opinion is the color range. As you can see from above, there are few colors available. I'm not even sure any of them are a real match for me (which is the reason why, for me, bareMinerals which has a fairly wide color range, is still #1). And this might be fine if you apply it very lightly for sheer coverage, but it's a shame because this powder actually has very buildable coverage and you can get really great results with it. It managed to completely hide the redness allover my face and even out my skin tone. But with high coverage it's really important to have a perfect color match and I'm afraid a lot of people won't match the few select colors they have available. But let's hope they bring out more colors!

Also, just like bareMinerals, Honeybee Garden's powder is a little drying. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't wear it every day and I make sure my skin is well moisturized before I apply it. With my Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream under this I get no powdery look whatsoever, it's great! Word to the wise though, I would NOT wear this around my eyes. That said, I don't see this being on the dry side as a downfall of this product because I think it's the nature of powder products (this is no more drying than my bareMinerals). Powder foundations are bound to be more drying than liquid or cream. For oily skin this would probably do a fantastic job of mattifying the skin as it covers.

Another important thing to mention is that this powder does not have sun protection. This is neither good or bad in my opinion, just a matter of preference. But since I compared it earlier with Bareminerals, I should bring up the fact that BM does has SPF 15.

INGREDIENTS:Mica, Kaolin, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Magnesium Carbonate, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Squalane, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499). 

PRICE: $9.99 (0.26 oz or 7.5g) 

CONS: Limited color range. 

BOTTOM LINE: Great powder for sensitive skin. A 100% natural powder that is pressed so hassle-free. Comes in an environmentally-friendly re-fillable compact. Very affordable. All in all, 100% Sensitastic approved! 

WHERE TO BUY: www.honeybeegardens.com

No comments:

Post a Comment