Beauty for Breast Cancer: Jane Iredale Roses and Lollipops Lip Duo


October is breast cancer month and it's when many brands come out with pretty in pink limited edition products dedicated to the cause of fighting breast cancer. Most brands only dedicate part of the proceeds to breast cancer foundations so I was very happy to find out that Jane Iredale will donate 100% of the proceeds from this beautiful keychain locket to the cause.  
Jane Iredale specializes in "Skin Care Makeup" and all their products are 100% natural. For those with very sensitive skin like me, here's an interesting statement they make on their website:

"Minimum Allergy Risk
Allergies and sensitivities usually occur because of ingredients that cause irritation to the skin. Reactions are particularly common in skins that have been compromised in some fashion through, for example, a weakened immune system, sun damage, chemical peels, laser resurfacing, etc. Substances that most commonly cause these sensitivities are chemical preservatives, chemical dyes (usually labeled as FD&C), perfume and alcohol. Our makeup contains none of these sensitizers. In fact, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are anti-inflammatories and may help calm the skin. All of our products have undergone sensitivity testing in an FDA-approved laboratory with no sensitivity recorded."

I've mentioned before though, that just because an ingredient is natural, it doesn't mean you cannot be allergic to it. So I thought it was interesting when I found THIS on their website:

"It’s important to know that anyone can be allergic or sensitive to anything. However, we have eliminated the top three sensitizers from our makeup, synthetic fragrance, FD&C dyes and synthetic preservatives. We've also tested every product for sensitivity on a 50-person test panel in a laboratory. Individuals with extreme chemical sensitivities wear our makeup successfully." 

I like their honesty and that they seem to take their job very seriously. A lot of brands are not quite so open about their product manufacturing practices and like to make general claims about "this is allergy tested", "recommended by dermatologists", etc. However, very few companies will be as specific about these claims as Jane Iredale, and as honest about the lack of generality of it. Bottom line, I very much appreciate that.

Now onto the product. This is my first ever Jane Iredale product. The same reason that's kept me from trying this brand is the reason it took so long for me to try other natural brands: the price tag. This makeup line is quite pricy, so it took finding a product dedicated to charity for me to feel comfortable enough to pay the price tag. Also, a friend had referred me to Dermstore so I had a $10 off coupon :) which made aaall the difference in my pocket! It was a win win situation as she also got a $10 off coupon for referring a friend, yay!
This locket comes in an incredibly light metal looking case which is likely made of plastic. I was both relieved and disappointed when I received it though because from the pictures online I imagined this as a very heavy metal case and was relieved to find it was quite light. However, it is so light it is actually feels a bit cheap, like it might scratch or come apart easily of thrown in your purse, which for a $30 product, is the last thing you want! That said, I've been quite careful with it, so it's still in very good shape.
 The lipstick color was surprisingly sheer (left swatch, i had to really layer it on) while the lipgloss was surprisingly pigmented! Whick you'll be able to see from swatches below. They both have textures I'm not used to. They both feel quite thick. It's hard to explain other than: I had trouble spreading it on my lips! Unlike other lip products out there, these just don't seem to melt onto your lips and you just need to pile it on to cover the whole surface. Nothing terrible, but just something that will take a little getting used to. That said, they did feel very moisturizing, were long lasting and gave me NO allergic reaction whatsoever. All qualities that make up for the odd texture.
As I mentioned before, it's a shame that this feels like such a delicate product (however cute it is with the little heart and all), because I can't imagine this surviving as a keychain. However, as I think of this as a donation to the cause of fighting breast cancer (with an adorable looking bonus that is a good lip product for sensitive dry lips) it doesn't bother me so much. I'm just letting you guys know all my thoughts, in case any of this plays a role in your buying decision making. 
Oh, and by the way, this locket is last year's breast cancer limited edition, which is still being sold this year in various places but they also have a new 2012 product. 
I hope you guys found this useful! Cheers!

INGREDIENTS:
PureMoist™ LipColour (Lipstick):
Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Isopropyl Jojobate, Jojoba Esters, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Bisabolol. May Contain: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850) (Aka 202).

PureGloss™ for Lips:
Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Jojoba Esters, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil,
Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Bisabolol. May contain: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red 30 Lake (CI 73360).

PRICE: $30 (0.08oz)

CONS: Thick texture and definitely an expensive product (however, it is for a good cause!)

BOTTOM LINE: This is an interesting product. I don't regret buying it at all, but I'm not sure it has gotten me wanting more Jane Iredale. There was nothing really wrong with the product, but I didn't find it special in a way that would make me crave trying more products from the brand. I do admire their work though and I might indulge at some point. If you've tried this brand and have recommendations, do let me know! This product is Sensitastic approved!

WHERE TO BUY: www.janeiredale.com
www.nordstrom.com
www.dermstore.com



No comments:

Post a Comment