MAC Studio Finish Concealer


Since my last review was concealer related, I thought I'd go ahead and start a mini Concealer Series. MAC's  Studio Finish Concealer has been a staple for me for a while and although I wouldn't call it my holy grail concealer (still looking for it...) it has some really great qualities and it's definitely worth checking out.

This concealer is quite creamy, but manages to crease less (however, it has less coverage) than the MUFE Full Cover concealer I reviewed recently. The shade I own is NW20 and this is certainly too pink to use allover my face. The correct skin shade for me would probably be NC20 since I have neutral to yellow undertones, but I bought this concealer to use under the eye area and the slight pinky hue does a great job at neutralizing the blue from dark circles and brightening the area around my eyes.

Some may ask, why not buy a proper corrector such as Bobby Brown Corrector? Well, it turns out I've tried it but regular correctors tend to be too pink for me. On top of the blue I also have a lot of redness around my eyes because my skin is so sensitive and reactive, so the excess pink in the Bobby Brown corrector just accentuates the redness making the whole look, well... not cute. For me, the Bobby brown corrector would require topping it with a concealer and who am I kidding? that amount of hassle is just not gonna happen on a daily basis. All this to say that MAC's Studio Finish Concealer is just pink enough without being excessively pink, plus it already provides great coverage (which Bobby Brown Corrector does not), so on a daily basis I get away with just wearing that. So those who want to cover up blue under-eye circles but are very sensitive and often have some redness around the eyes, might want to try something like this: a concealer meant for pink undertones which is likely to be less pink than a corrector but hopefully just pink enough to neutralize some blue under the eyes. Here are the swatches:
See? PINK! But works like a charm to brighten and cover under the eyes.
Blended swatch on the left and heavy on the right.
This concealer is a little drying under the eyes, like most (in my opinion) but nothing as dramatic that will give you temporary wrinkles like the MUFE concealer did to me. I do recommend always using a good eye cream, suited for your skin type, under your concealer though. It has SFP 35 which is really great as the delicate and sensitive area around you eyes really deserve some extra sun protection to keep those aging lines away!

Another very important feature: this lasts all day on me and given the dryness around my eyes I very rarely set my concealer with powder, so this lasts on its own. On top of lasting a long time on my skin this little pot should last you a good year.
Keep in mind I spend most of my days in NYC and despite what some people might say, it is not that humid compared to other parts of the world (and it's very dry in the winter!), even at its worst when it's the middle of summer, the average humidity is about 80%, which is high, but I've been to plenty of places that have humidity of 90% and above and I honestly can't vouch for how my makeup would behave in that environment because most of the time, under those conditions, I can't be bothered to put makeup on anyways (plus i'm likely to be at the beach, when all I wear is sunscreen). I'm saying this because quite possibly, if you live somewhere very hot and humid, this concealer may not last as long by itself and may require setting.


INGREDIENTS: OCTINOXATE 5.00%, TITANIUM DIOXIDE 2.00%, OCTYLDODECANOL, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX, COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX, SILICA, HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL, TOCOPHEROL, ASCORBYL PALMITATE, POLYBUTENE, PVP/HEXADECENE COPOLYMER, ALUMINA, STEARIC ACID, [+/-(MAY CONTAIN) TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS (CI 77288)]
PRICE: $18 (0.24 oz. or 7g)

CONS: Not a natural product and this could have better coverage. Also, not a fan of the packaging, it's not very hygienic. On that note, on top of always having clean fingers when I use this product I periodically (about once a month) will spray the surface with rubbing alcohol and wipe it clean. In my mind, this should help clear some of the bacteria potentially building up on the product.  

BOTTOM LINE: Overall, this is a really good concealer with medium to full coverage and in this shade NW20 it is also very brightening (bear in mind my actual shade would be NC20). It is not too drying for the delicate eye area. It has the great added bonus of having an spf of 35 but don't forget that the spf in cosmetics is never enough for proper sun protection and you should still wear a sunscreen when going out in the sun. Very Sensitastic approved!

WHERE TO BUY:www.maccosmetics.com
www.macys.com
www.bloomingdales.com
www.nordstrom.com   



No comments:

Post a Comment